Sunday, May 18, 2014

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ride a bike

Headstone
Headstone at a local cemetery.
The weather apps seemed a bit bleak this week, but so far it has been reasonably warm and pleasant. Each day this week it has been a quick and easy decision. Guilt about not getting enough done around the house has been building, however, and the weather may not end up being the determining factor for the rest of the week.

Granite Street
Don't be jealous of my sweatshirt "kit." 
For today, however, the riding was splendid, and I took a rare spin down Granite Street to add a few miles. The hills are nicely spaced so momentum just pushes you up the next hill. Before and after the junkyards, it's a nicely wooded, quiet ride, and a right on Cliff Street spits you out across from the bike path parking lot.
Peugeot Paris Express
The Pug is bullet proof, always a trusty ride.
Earlier in the week a brief cross-border raid into Millbury took me over or under three major highways for the day: I-290, I-90, and Route 146. It's nice to be able to make route adjustments on the fly. I wanted to go up Upland Street to get home with slightly less hassle than having to back under 290, but Upland is a mini-beast of a few long, kinda steep hills.
Blackstone Valley bike path over Route 146.
Rarely do I venture over the bridge.
A quick left onto Spofford Road cuts those hills in half. It's such a neat area over there; my iPhone ride-bys don't do the neighborhood justice. There are these huge vegetative areas that still haven't been developed, and they're just beautiful. It's surrounded by these big hills, so it reminds me if Central America or some mountainous land. Really cool.
One hill lost. Worth the try.
Upland.
The true revelation, however, was after the ride when I whipped up some zucchini fritters. I envisioned a sort of burger, and it worked in that sense, but they would be just as good with some sauce on the side or maybe some caramelized onions. 
zucchini fritter/burger with Greek salad.
Fresh chives from the unkillable chive plant in the backyard.
Grilled salmon with caramelized onions and peppers, brown rice, and backyard chives.
Only looking at the picture do I now realize how huge that piece of salmon was.
And here's a gratuitous grilled salmon shot from the weekend. I would eat a salmon jumping out of the river, grizzly bear-style, if I could. It is my most beloved fish. It needs little to be spectacular, which is probably my biggest folly. I simply don't do too much to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment